Let's make our next samplepack together

Blogpost written by Alexander Spoor. Read time: 4m.

It's 2022 and we're trying something new. Up until now, WavGarden has been 2 things: an online store for Tantu's samplepacks and virtual instrument and a Discord community for producers across the world. So far, so good. However, our plans for WavGarden have alsways been bigger. Much bigger. And so today – finally – we're bringing the store and community together.

handshake-small

Starting today, we're asking all WavGarden producers to join us in creating our first (of hopefully many) community-made samplepacks. Where is this community? On our Discord server, of course. Come and join us if you haven't already. So, what is the brief? What is the process? What are the cuts? When do we go live? These are all good questions and the answers to those questions are subject to change at any time at this moment, but this is what we're aiming for:

Theme: Winter Squash

Every samplepack needs a theme. If all goes well, we plan on doing a community-driven sample-pack on a monthly basis. Also, our name is WavGarden. Put it all together, and you end up with a theme that is naturally going to be season and/or weather related. This month's theme is going to be called 'Winter Squash'. That means we're looking for some melodies that sound... well, cold. Icy. Or hot, but in a Pumpkin Spice Latte kinda way. It's up to you guys to make it work.

How to participate

Join our Discord. It's easy, free and full of good people. Once you're in, search for the 'Community Samplepack' category and click on 'the-brief' channel. All further instructions regarding how to be a part of this project can be found there.

Screenshot-2022-01-08-at-13.26.31

A screenshot of the 'pack-talk' channel on the WavGarden Discord server.

Splits

This is all new to us, so we actually have no idea how any of this is going to work. All we know is we're going to need to normalize and 'beautify' the submissions, create artwork and social media content for the samplepack(s) and spread the word. To cover the costs and time spent doing all this, we'll be taking 30% cut from all sales. The remaining 70% will be distributed amongst the participating producers as a percentage of one's contribution(s) to the samplepack. This means that, if you end up providing 10% of the sounds in the pack, you'll receive 10% of that remaining 70%.

Payout

Keeping with the seasonal theme, we'll be paying out producers per quarter to begin with. Payments will be made via PayPal.

Pricing

So, what should a pack like this cost when someone wants to buy it? It depends on many different factors that we don't have any insights to yet. Once we know more, we'll update this page.

Timeline

We're going to start taking submissions per today. The deadline for submissions for this pack is going to be January 24th, 2022, with the release of the pack scheduled for January 31st – the last day of the month.

And that's all for now! If you've got any other questions regarding this project, feel free to hit us up on the WavGarden Discord server in the 'pack-talk' channel. We'll keep updating this blog-page to reflect the most accurate information regarding the project. Looking forward to working with you all. Much love, the WavGarden team.

WavGarden © 2021